STUDENT VISA FOR CANADA
Do you want to come to study in Canada for a season? Today we explain everything you need to know about the student visa for Canada.
The foremost thing you must realize is that what we know as a student visa for them is a student permit or student permit, but they do not consider it a visa in itself. In addition to obtaining the student permit, you must combine it with a Visitor visa or eTA.
When do I need to apply or claim for a visa?
You will only need to request a student permit if your intention is to take a course of more than six months in Canada, and they will give it to you if the institution where you wish to study is included in what they call “designated learning institutions” or what comes to be for us, educational institutions accredited by the government.
Can I work with the student visa?
The Canadian government only grants permission to work to students who take technical training provided by colleagues (known as Career Programs ) or studies taught at the University.
If your intention is to go to Canada to take a language course, the first thing you should know is that they will not give you permission to work legally in the country. The government does not assign work permits for this type of study.
How long can I stay in Canada with a student permit?
Normally, this type of permit has the same duration as your study program. In addition, the Canadian government gives you an additional 90 days, so you have time to prepare your departure or start with the necessary steps to extend your stay.
There are several scenarios that can occur while studying in Canada:
- If the educational institution in which you have enrolled asks you to do some type of preparatory course before starting with the principal, your permission will be valid for the duration of those courses plus an additional year. When you start studying the main program, you will have to request an extension of your stay.
- If you know that you will finish your studies after your permit expires, you should request an extension of the permit as soon as possible. In case you don’t do it, you will have to stop studying and leave the country.
- If you finish your studies before your study permit expires, the permit will cease to be valid 90 days after completing your studies, no matter what day the permit has been issued.
You must present evidence of the date on which the school notifies that you have obtained the degree, diploma, or certificate.
Can I go home while I study?
Of course. If you leave Canada during the studies, it is possible that around, have to show proof that you are registered in an educational institution that allows you to have permission.
If you have a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA), they must be valid upon your return.
What allows me to do the student permit or study permit?
Well, you can study any study program taught by colleges or universities. In addition, depending on the course you enroll, with this permission during your stay in Canada you can work 20 hours per week while you have classes and 40 hours per week during vacation periods.
What do I have to do to achieve or gain it?
The first decision you must make before starting the paperwork to obtain a student visa is to know what you want to study and where. Once you are clear about this, the following is to complete the enrollment application and send it to the school with the following documentation:
- Certificate of English that demonstrates the level of English that they ask for. (not always necessary)
- Certificate of previous studies.
- Photocopy of passport.
Once you have the letter of acceptance of the institution in which you are going to study, with all the detailed information of the course, you can start to process the student visa for Canada.
Some of the general requirements that you must meet to apply for a student visa in Canada are:
- Enrollment in an accredited official institution.
- Economic solvency of $ 833 CAD per visa month during the first year.
- Letter from the center where you are going to take the course that confirms the enrollment.
- Prove that you have no criminal record.
- Three recent card photos.
- Payment of the administrative fee. It costs $ 150 CAD.
How much money am I going to spend?
To give you an approximate idea of how much the courses in Canada cost, here are some prices :
- A 12-week English course in Canada can vary between $ 2,600 CAD and $ 3,300 CAD.
- A 24-week English course in Canada can vary between $ 5,500 CAD and $ 6,100 CAD.
- A 6-month professional training course at a private school can cost around $ 6,700 CAD.
- A 1-year professional training course at a public school can cost around $ 9,600 CAD.
- A 1-year professional training course at a private school can cost around $ 14,600 CAD.
- A 1-year master’s degree $ 33,000 CAD.
In order to carry out the process with sufficient time, we recommend starting the procedures at least four months in advance.
As soon as you have the approved visa and the purchased airline ticket, you can start organizing your arrival in Canada.