If you choose to study at a Canadian institution, completing your studies does not mean that your time in Canada has ended. In fact, studying in the country is considered one of the best options to get permanent residence in Canada.

Many students use their studies as a springboard to get temporary work and permanent residence. Once you have said goodbye to the final exams, the Post Graduate Work Permit is one of the options you can use if you want to stay in the country.

This permit will give you the possibility to work in the country for a certain time (depending on the duration of your studies). Moreover, it will be the key to another program called Canadian Experience Class (CEC) Visa, which in turn will be the perfect transition to getting permanent residence.

The Post Graduate Work Permit

This work permit helps students who have graduated from some Canadian educational institutions to gain work experience in the country related to their field of study.

You can apply for this permit if you graduate from a designated learning institution (DLI), and your intention is to stay in the country temporarily to work.

Not all “designated learning institutions” offer you the possibility of being able to apply for a work permit after your graduation. You will have to consult the list of these institutions on the website of the Canadian government.

This permit has a cost of 255 Canadian dollars, and it takes about three months on average to process it.

How long is the Post Graduate Work Permit?

The duration of this will depend on the span of your study program :

  • If you study for less than eight months. You cannot qualify for this permit
  • For educational programs lasting between 8 months and two years. They commonly grant a subsequent work permit of the same duration as your studies. For example, if you have studied for one year, you are probably granted a work permit from another year.
  • If you have completed a program of 2 years or more. You can get a Post Graduate Work Permit of 3 years.
  • If you have had time to study more than one study program. You can combine the duration of the two to compute it in the duration of your work permit. For this, each study program must last a minimum of 8 months each.

Who can request a Post Graduate Work Permit?

If you want to request this permission, you have six months after your educational institution has published the final notes to request it. You have to be granted permission within these six months, so don’t wait until the last minute to manage all the paperwork.

Here is a list of the essential requirements :

  • Having completed a study program in a “designated learning institution” that has a minimum duration of 8 months, and that leads to obtaining a degree, diploma, or certificate.
  • Have maintained full-time student status during each semester of your study program (except the final semester, which may be part-time, or if you took a study permit).
  • Be graduated in:

– Postsecondary public school, such as a university, technical or commercial school, university, or CEGEP (in Quebec)

– The private postsecondary institution (in Quebec) that operates under the same rules as public schools in Quebec

-Educational organization of private secondary or postsecondary education (in Quebec) that offers qualification programs of 900 hours or more, leading to a professional studies diploma (DEP) or a professional specialization certification (ASP)

-Canadian private school that can grant degrees under provincial law (for example, associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree, master’s or doctorate), but only if you are enrolled in a study program that leads to a degree authorized by the province.

And after the Post Graduate Work Permit ?: Visa Canadian Experience Class

The post-graduation work permit will allow you to get work experience in the country that will be very handy if your intention is to stay in Canada.

The Canadian Experience Class Visa is the perfect transition to move from a temporary residence to a permanent one. This program is open to graduates who are familiar with Canadian society and can contribute to the country’s economy in some way. It is essential to have knowledge of English or French, as well as qualified work experience.

Canadian Experience Class Visa requests are processed through the Immigration Express Entry section.

Candidates have to express their concern in emigrating to Canada, create an online quick entry profile, and get an invitation to claim for permanent residence before submitting an application.

Minimum requirements to apply for the Canadian Experience Class Visa

To apply for a visa that will allow you to get your permanent residence in Canada. You must meet some basic requirements:

  • Comply with certain levels of language according to the profession you want to join.
  • Have at least one year of qualified work experience in Canada in the last three years before submitting your application.
  • Have earned work experience working legally in Canada.

You may also want to read:

How to work in Canada as an international student

Working in the Netherlands for non-Dutch students


Studying Engineering in Germany