How to Get a Student Visa For Germany
The number of students who choose Germany for studying abroad increases from year to year. Most international students probably need a German student visa from a German consulate in their origin country before they can enter Germany to study.
Depending on the country from which you come. You may not need a visa to study in Germany. However, you must still obtain a residence permit for more than 90 days after your arrival in Germany.
Do you want a visa to study in Germany?
- For studies lasting up to 3 months, you will need a Schengen visa
- For a study lasting more than three months, you require a Germany visa.
If you enter Germany with a visa, you must extend your stay by obtaining a German residence permit to study at the Foreigners Office. You have to do this while your entry visa is still official.
First, find out if you need a visa to study as an international student in Germany, and if so, which visa you need to apply for the duration and nature of your planned study.
Types of study visas for Germany
You may receive a Germany visa for degree programs and study programs. This includes a bachelor, master, Ph.d or postgraduate degree. This also includes participation in a pre-academic course or a non-academic German course.
There are three types of student visas for Germany that you can apply for:
German student visa.
This is the standard student visa for foreigners students who are admitted to a German university and willing to begin their studies in a full-time university program.
German student applicant visa.
You require this visa if you need to stay in Germany to apply for university admission. This visa does not allow studies in Germany, and it only applies to the application process of the university.
German language course visa.
You need this visa to complete a German course in Germany.
Requirements for the German Student Visa
The most important requirements during your student visa process in Germany are:
- Visa application documents.
- Duly completed and signed the national visa application form.
- Your valid national passport.
- Two photocopies of your passport.
- Your birth certificate.
- Your marriage certificate (if applicable).
- Birth certificate of your child (if applicable).
- Your last passport photos. (Up to 3).
- Photocopies of previous German residence permits. (If applicable).
- Previous Schengen visa.
- Previous German residence permit.
Proof of financing. (One of the following)
- € 8640 Deposit confirmation of a blocked account with a bank provider.
- Undertaking and proof of your parents’ income records and financial assets.
- The undertaking of a German undertaking. This letter is filed with the foreigners authority by a German resident, who will pay your expenses during your studies.
- Certificate of Scholarship. It has to show the amount of costs it takes.
- Provided to you by a recognized German bank.